Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Boobs are for Food!

When did the mentality switch from breastfeeding is okay to breastfeeding is taboo?

Why is it okay for a teenager to post a picture of herself wearing short shorts and a barely-there shirt, but a picture of a mom breastfeeding her child gets deleted?  

Is it that we, as a culture, have sexualized the breast so much that we're afraid of showing the "other" use for them?  Or is it a marketing "win" for the formula companies after years and years of advertising their product?  I don't know.  But it has brought out an entirely new side to me....

*disclaimer-I have zero problem whatsoever if you choose to formula feed your child-whether by choice or necessity.  So please, do not, in any way, think that I am anti-formula.  I am not.  

I never thought I'd be an advocate of anything.  I'm a fairly easy-going person who is much happier staying out of conflict than potentially causing it.  But I have been thinking and thinking and thinking about this subject, and I've decided that I will be on my soapbox from this point on.

I will no longer worry about whether or not someone is offended by the way I feed my baby.  If you don't like it, don't look.  I am not going to run around topless or flaunt myself in any way.  But I'm not going to go hide in a bathroom or find a bench in an empty hallway to feed her.  I don't expect you to cover your head up when you eat.  I haven't ever asked anyone to eat in a bathroom.  Why would you want my child to do the same?  

If I can look at this 


This should be okay

Don't like it?  I don't care.  Not anymore, at least!

Have a great day!  My Kitty's hungry....


No comments:

Post a Comment